Golfing in Puerto Rico is any golfer’s paradise, with breathtaking views and perfect weather all year round making it a delightful experience. Puerto Rico’s first golf course was built on the grounds of El Morro, and even though it doesn’t exist anymore, Puerto Rico now has over 20 outstanding golf courses around the islands’ 100×35 miles.
Many of the golf courses in Puerto Rico have been designed by golf legends themselves, including courses where some of the world’s most prestigious tournaments have been held. The most popular one being the only official PGA event in the Caribbean, the PR Open. For the last 10 years this tournament has been hosted in the island at Coco Beach Golf Course. The 2018 Edition will be held on March 2-3 at Dorado Beach Course to help the recovery efforts in Puerto Rico and pave the way for the 2019 Puerto Rico Open.
If you’re in the mood to play golf, here are the Top 5 golf courses you should not miss when visiting Puerto Rico:
- The closest to San Juan.
- The final three holes run along one of Puerto Rico’s most beautiful beaches and has amazing views of El Yunque Rainforest.
Location: Rio Grande
Palmas del Mar
- The Palms course features 4 par-5 holes, being one of them the longest par-5 hole in the Caribbean
- The infamous par-3 in the 12th hole of the Flamboyan course is a must play when in Puerto Rico.
- Greens right above the ocean
- Caddie required to play
- The “Pebble Beach” of the Caribbean
- Hole #12 of the Championship Course
- Course used by the PGA Tour
Location: Rio Grande
Phone: 787.657.2000 Ext. 107
- Plantation Pineapple Course: Considered the most forgiving, designed to be a friendlier course with flat bunkers and larger greens.
- East Course: Its 4th hole has been ranked by legend Jack Nicklaus as one of the top ten holes in the world.
Keep in mind that fees vary per course, we recommend calling in advance or talk to our concierge specialists to coordinate preferred time and transportation, so that you don’t miss your tee time!
Doesn’t matter your handicap, Puerto Rico is the golfing vacation you need! Happy golfing!