Make no mistake, Puerto Rico has always been one of the hottest and trendiest Caribbean destinations. Thanks to the worldwide success of the hit single Despacito last year and due to the unfortunate atmospheric events, the island has been on the world’s eyes more than ever. But now, Puerto Rico is officially back in business and open for tourism! And this year, you shouldn’t miss visiting this triple-threat destination of beaches, mountains and city vibe, because Puerto Rico is ready to welcome you!
Traveling to Puerto Rico by plane from the States is easier than you’d think, especially when US Citizens don’t need a passport to enter, just a valid government issued photo ID. However, citizens of other countries do have the same requirements as for entering the US.
Puerto Rico has 3 international airports:
- Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport, the primary airport commonly known as San Juan International Airport (SJU), located on Carolina, on the northeast of the island and only a few minutes away from San Juan, being the closest to La Concha Resort
- Rafael Hernandez International Airport (BQN), located in the municipality of Aguadilla on the west coast of the island
- Mercedita International Airport (PSE), located on the south of the island in Ponce
The island’s international gateway is the International Airport Luis Muñoz Marín (SJU). It receives more than 400 flights weekly and has nonstop flights available daily to and from the US and all over the Caribbean, making traveling to Puerto Rico just a plane ticket away. The SJU, home to over a dozen airlines, is operated by Aerostar Airport Holdings since 2012, and since then has been undergoing successful improvements including press conference rooms, a JetBlue exclusive terminal, an American Airlines Admirals Club, and all-around renovations to name a few. Currently, it has over two dozen food locations and sit-down restaurants, apparel stores, ATMs with exchange currency, duty free shops for last minute shopping, and services such as barbershops and beauty salons, shoe-shining, a bank branch, a hotel and luggage services, letting travelers have a pleasant time while waiting for their flight.
The airport’s website is very up to date, you can view your flight’s status in real-time, terminal maps, general travel information, time, date and current weather. Also, their official Facebook page is frequently updated with vital information for the visitor.
When arriving at San Juan Airport, you will have different transportation options to choose from. You can grab a taxi to La Concha Resort for a $15 flat rate fee1, rent a car directly on the airport premises or pick the bus, located at the airport departure level in Terminal A and D. Whichever option you choose, paradise awaits at La Concha Resort!
3 useful tips when traveling to and from the airport:
- Puerto Rico is a tropical island with warm weather all year round, try traveling with comfy light clothes so that when you arrive, the heat won’t strike that hard.
- When vacation is over and it’s time to leave paradise, make sure to get to the airport at least 2 hours prior to your scheduled flight (3 hours if it’s an international flight), TSA checkpoint lines can get a little busy.
- Check the traffic before leaving to the airport, and schedule transportation accordingly.
Puerto Rico is the perfect destination for every kind of traveler: the adventurer, the foodie, the tropical relaxer, the partier, the cultural… whichever traveler you are, get your plane ticket ¡y nos vemos pronto!
1 Rate referenced from the Official SJU Website